Wednesday 25 November 2009

ONE IN A MILLION...

Dear You,

“People in my neighborhood don’t like the phrase ‘working class.’ The guys I grew up with, their mothers mostly didn’t work back in those days, and their fathers didn’t go to college. But they were proud, and if you asked them what they were, they were middle class.”

–Joe Biden, video presentation at the Democratic National Convention

...an interesting quote, and one that may inspire the continuation of my project. I think it's important not to consign (the act of consigning, which is placing a person or thing in the hand of another, but retaining ownership until the goods are sold or person is transferred
) a group of people into one category as this can create division. As a result I am going to aim my design at a wide range of people, both age and gender. The way in which I will aim it to my given age range and gender is to look at the places in which I display the final product (maybe on building sites, bus stops, bars etc), and the way in which I display it.



This web page above, The Million Dollar Homepage, was the inspiration behind the Sandberg Institute's installation below. Advertisers can buy advertising space buy the square centimeter for a set amount of days, as the display is an ever changing swirl of logos. Slightly ironic/baroque.


The Baroque Branding Building above was made in response to a directive that the art schools needed to be acquiring more funds to cover costs. Not content to solve things in a crass way, the school turned into a design question for the students and faculty like any other make believe project.

Now that I'm in the process of designing the final piece, I should really figure out how I'm going to display it.

Questions, questions, questions...





No comments:

Post a Comment