Saturday 21 November 2009

PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE...

Dear You,

So, typically for me, I haven't posted for a little while. Since my last post I have mainly been working on my latest project in which we were given 3 elements to work to (client, message and target audience) and create a brief. It is then our job to design something... could be almost anything communicating these 3 pointers.

CLIENT: Pressure group

MESSAGE: Appreciate culture

TARGET AUDIENCE: 30-50 year old working class me
n

Culture is a huge part of modern life, in terms of the diversity and influences imposed on us in every day life. Having said that, all around the world there are minorities that are being 'forgotten', and I hope in my project to inject a new awareness of these on the Western world with a distinctive design.
Cultures and elements of cultures I have started to look at include; people of the Navajo, Aborigines, the Day of the Dead from Mexico and the Rathwa clan (see below), among others.

photo credit: Mint



Album cover: Lord Newborn and the Magic Skulls
Below: Sugar Skulls from the Mexican Festival Day of the Dead



Below are some pictures I took whilst sitting in the library the other day. I read 2 very interesting books, one on global design and one called 'Indi Fonts' which featured lots and lots of different typefaces designed by independent design houses.



Blakely typeface: Indi Fonts

Bfrika typeface: Indi Fonts

A greetings card: Reza Abedeni, Iran 2003

Poster against French nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean (Japan) 1995

Illustration for poster entitled 'America 500 years later', Mexico 1992

For me, these pictures are fascinating and give a true insight into the separate cultures. Colour and line are very important, and I hope to portray this in my poster/billboard/stickers/canvas I finally create.

Anyhow, I am off now to finish uploading and editing my photos and gathering research. There will hopefully be a flood of information on here over the course of the next couple of days...

Watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment